Indefinite Leave to Remain

There are different ways to acquire Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. Normally, the options are as follows : 

  1. Long Term work visa in the UK such as the Tier 1 or Tier 2 route.
  2. Long-term family-related visa, such as the spouse or civil partner route. 
  3. Lawful and continuous residence in the UK for a minimum period of 10 years.
  4. Refugee Status for the minimum period 5 years. 

In most instances, the applicant will need to demonstrate evidence of English proficiency and also pass the "Life in the UK" test. Applicants will also need to fulfil the “Good Character” test and ensure they do not have any unspent criminal convictions before making the application. 

As the status is a reflection of your intention to remain in the UK permanently, applicants will also need to meet the “Continuous Residence Test” and ensure they do not have any excessive absences from the UK. 

By meeting all these requirements amongst a few others, applicants may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. 

It is also possible to submit an application to the Public Enquiry Office for a “same-day” processing service. Please contact us for further information and current appointment availabilities.

Contact us

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Eldons Berkeley Solicitors

7 Ely Place, London EC1N 6RY

020 7440 7744


Open today

09:00 – 17:30